This weeks roundup also features some footballer initiations, memorable Womens Rugby World Cup moments and a basketball balls-up
1) If the norovirus lays off, the London Stadium should deliver a big moment this weekend with the 4x100m: elite sprinting, Usain Bolts final farewell, plus potential baton-based slapstick. Its an event that has produced some classic clips: Jamaicas Bolt-finished world record win in 2012; Team GBs mens victory at Athens 2004; and a classic from Seoul 1988: USA versus East Germany versus USSR, featuring Flo-Jo. And heres a montage of classic baton fumbles, inevitably featuring Britain and some familiar sounding commentary: Jarretts gone off well, storming down the back straight, Jarrett will hand over to Braithwaite, not bad, oh! Braithwaites dropped the baton! Heres the story of the US womens teams baton struggles and their ultimate redemption in 2012. And finally, of course, theres this again. Its not 100m, but still, any excuse. UCC, from the depths of hell!
2) The Womens Rugby World Cup is under way. Re-live some memorable past moments with England star Maggie Alphonsis top World Cup memories, some tries and highlights from 2014 and New Zealands victories in 2010 and four years previously.
3) Saracens have had much to brag about in recent times, so perhaps a tendency to show off is understandable. Although this attempted diving-board passing move doesnt quite come off, it looks like fun all the same.
4) You may not have not noticed it, but Premier League football is back this week. Welcome Huddersfield and Brighton, the latters remarkable survival story we tell here.
5) Get yourself properly in the mood for the new season with a couple of choice own goals: here, Levadia take an early lead against Paide Linnameeskond in the Estonian Cup without having touched the ball and this own goal by Sampdorias Ricky lvarez at the Liberty Stadium might have put a spring in Swanseas pre-season step.
6) And so many summer transfers means one thing: plenty of initiations. After arriving in the Premier League from Las Palmas, Roque Mesa is already making himself at home at Swansea City. As is Chelsea loanee Tammy Abraham. And John Terry, and so on.
1) Continuing last weeks cricket theme, Adil Rashid produced an incredible delivery to bowl Michael Richardson for Yorkshire against Durham at Headingley in the T20 Blast. Rashid pitched the ball outside leg stump before it turned sharply, beating the bat and clipping the top of the batsmans off-stump. Very reminiscent of Shane Warnes famous delivery that bamboozled Mike Gatting during the Ashes in 1993. Wasim Akram once took two Test hat-tricks in a week not too shabby. The pay dispute between players and not players in Australian cricket is now seemingly resolved, paving the way once more for ashes encounters like this. And in the Caribbean Premier League T20 match between St Kitts and Nevis Patriots and Guyana Amazon Warriors, substitute fielder Fabian Allen takes one of the best catches youll ever see a running arm-outstretched one-handed catch on the boundary.
2) Athletes get confused on the court or field sometimes but in a Fiba U19 Womens Basketball World Cup match, Russia and Spain got so disoriented that Russia went the wrong way on the court and scored on themselves! (More detailed breakdown of what happened here).
3) The NFL preseason starts on Thursday with the annual Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio. Seems a good time to look back at the highlights of the last NFL season. And geres the Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Blackhawks equalling the record for the most goals scored by both teams in a NHL game.
4) Football, and this may have been Neymars best in a Barcelona shirt his goal against Villarreal in November 2015. More importantly, as part of a new partnership with a local animal shelter, Chilean side Colo-Colo were accompanied out of the tunnel by a selection of dogs for the Chilean Primera Division opener against Deportes Antofagasta.
5) With Conor v Money fast approaching and GGG v Alvarez not far behind, take the time to update yourself on 2017s hardest punchers.
Spotters badges: TheCedarRoom, BedfordBlueRaider, denothemeno, whobroughtoranges, BlackCaeser, LeeWall, GrahamClayton.